Cancer Nano Plan 2015,
published by NCI/NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA, 2016
Overcoming Specific Biological Barriers: Penetrating Stroma,
H Meng, J I Zink, T Donahue, C Radu, Z Wainberg, and A Nel
94. X Liu, J Jiang, Liao, Y-P, I Tang, E Zheng, W Qiu, M Lin, X Wang, Y Ji, Mei, K.-C, Q Liu, C.H Chang , Wainberg, Z. A, Nel, A. E*, H Meng*, Combination chemo-immunotherapy for pancreatic cancer using the immunogenic effects of an irinotecan silicasome nanocarrier plus Anti-PD-1, Advanced Science, 2021, 8, 2002147.
87. J Li, L M. Julia R. Downing, X Wang, C Chang, J Jiang, Q Liu, X Liu, Mei, K.-C,Y-P Liao, T Ma, H Meng, Mark C. H, A E. Nel*, T Xia*, Dissolution of 2D Molybdenum Disulfide Generates Differential Toxicity among Liver Cell Types Compared to Non‐Toxic 2D Boron Nitride Effects, Small, 2021, 2101084.
82. KC Mei, Y-P Liao, J Jiang, M Chiang, M Khazaieli, X Liu, X Wang, Q Liu, CH Chang, X Zhang, J Li, Y Ji, B Melano, D Telesca, T Xia, H Meng*, AE Nel*, Liposomal delivery of mitoxantrone and a cholesteryl indoximod prodrug provides effective chemo-immunotherapy in multiple solid tumors, ACS Nano, 2020, 14, 13343–13366.
76. X Liu, J Jiang, R Chan, Y Ji, J Lu, YP Liao, M Okene, J Lin, P Lin, CH Chang, X Wang, I Tang, E Zheng, W Qiu, ZA. Wainberg, AE. Nel,* and H Meng*, Improved Efficacy and Reduced Toxicity Using a Custom-Designed Irinotecan-Delivering Silicasome for Orthotopic Colon Cancer, ACS Nano, 2019, 13, 38-53.
74. X Liu, P Lin, I Perrett, J Lin, Y Liao, CH Chang, J Jiang, N Wu, T Donahue, Z Wainberg, A Nel*, H Meng*, Tumor-Penetrating Peptide Enhances Transcytosis of Silicasome-based Chemotherapy for Pancreatic Cancer, The Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2017, 127, 2007–2018 (highlighted by JCI editorial office).
66. Wang S, Riedinger A, Li H, Fu C, Liu H*, Li L, Liu T, Tan L, Barthel MJ, Pugliese G, De Donato F, Scotto D'Abbusco M, Meng X, Manna L, H Meng*, Pellegrino T*, Plasmonic Copper Sulfide Nanocrystals Exhibiting Near-infrared Photothermal and Photodynamic Therapeutic Effects, ACS Nano, 2015, 9, 1788–1800.
63. H Meng*, Y Zhao, J Dong, M Xue, YS Lin, Z Ji, W X. Mai, H Zhang, C H Chang, C. J Brinker, J I. Zink, and A E. Nel*, Two-Wave Nanotherapy To Target the Stroma and Optimize Gemcitabine Delivery To a Human Pancreatic Cancer Model in Mice, ACS Nano, 2013, 7, 10048–10065 (Highlighted by Nature Material).
62. H Meng*, WX Mai, H Zhang, M Xue, T Xia, S Lin, X Wang, Y Zhao, Z Ji, JI Zink, and AE Nel. Codelivery of an Optimal Drug/siRNA Combination Using Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles To Overcome Drug Resistance in Breast Cancer in Vitro and in Vivo, ACS Nano, 2013, 7, 994-1005 (Highlighted by NCI Alliance for Nanotechnology in Cancer).
61. W X. Mai, H Meng*, Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles: A Multifunctional Nanotherapeutic System, Integrative Biology, 2013, 5, 19-28.
60. H Meng, M Xue, JI Zink, and AE Nel, Development of Pharmaceutically Adapted Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles Platform, The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 2012, 3, 358-359.
59. H Meng, Xing G, Blanco E, Song Y, Zhao L, Sun B, Li X, Wang PC, Korotcov A, Li W, XJ Liang, C Chen, H Yuan, F Zhao, Z Chen, T Sun, Z Chai, M Ferrari, and YL Zhao. Gadolinium Metallofullerenol Nanoparticles Inhibit Cancer Metastasis Through Matrix Metalloproteinase Inhibition: Imprisoning Instead of Poisoning Cancer Cells, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 2012, 8, 136-146 (Cover paper).
58. H Meng, M Xue, T Xia, Z Ji, DY Tarn, JI Zink, and AE Nel, Use of Size and a Co-polymer Design Feature to Improve the Biodistribution and the Enhanced Permeability and Retention Effect of Doxorubicin-loaded Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles in a Murine Xenograft Tumor Model, ACS Nano, 2011, 5, 131-144.
57. H Meng, S Yang, Z Li, T Xia, J Chen, Z Ji, H Zhang, X Wang, S Lin, C Huang, ZH Zhou, JI Zink, and AE Nel, Aspect Ratio Determines the Quantity of Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticle Uptake by a Small GTPase-dependant Macropinocytosis Mechanism, ACS Nano, 2011, 5, 4434-4447.
56. H Meng, M Liong, T Xia, Z Li, JI Zink, and AE Nel, Engineered Design of Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles to Deliver Doxorubicin and P-Glycoprotein siRNA to Overcome Drug Resistance in a Cancer Cell Line, ACS Nano, 2010, 4, 4539-4550.
55. H Meng, M Xue, T Xia, YL Zhao, F Tamanoi, JF Stoddart, JI Zink, and AE Nel, Autonomous in Vitro Anticancer Drug Release from Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles by pH-Sensitive Nanovalves, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2010, 132, 12690-12697 (Highlighted by NCI Alliance for Nanotechnology in Cancer).
54. X Liang1, H Meng1 (1equal contribution), Y Wang, H He, J Meng, J Lu, PC Wang, YL Zhao, X Gao, B Sun, C Chen, G Xing, D Shen, MM Gottesman, Y Wu, JJ Yin, and L Jia, Metallofullerene Nanoparticles Circumvent Tumor Resistance To Cisplatin By Reactivating Endocytosis, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2010, 107, 7449-7454 (Highlighted by The Journal of Urology, 2010).
53. H Meng, G Xing, B Sun, F Zhao, H Lei, W Li, Y Song, Z Chen, H Yuan, X Wang, J Long, C Chen, XJ Liang, N Zhang, Z Chai, and YL Zhao, Potent Angiogenesis Inhibition by the Particulate Form of Fullerene Derivatives, ACS Nano, 2010, 4 , 2773-2783.
52. H Meng, T Xia, S George, and AE Nel, A Predictive Toxicological Paradigm for the Safety Assessment of Nanomaterials, ACS Nano, 2009, 3, 1620-1627 (highlighted by ACS Nano, "The Big Picture", 2009, 3, 1603-1604).
51. H Meng, T Xia, S George, and AE. Nel, Response to "Assessing the Safety of Nanomaterials by the Genomic Approach could be an Alternative", ACS Nano, 2009, 3, 3830-3831.
49. H Meng, Z Chen, GM Xing, H Yuan, C Chen, F Zhao, C Zhang, and YL Zhao, Ultrahigh Reactivity Provokes Nanotoxicity: Explanation of Oral Toxicity of Nano-Copper Particles, Toxicology Letters, 2007, 175, 102-110.
50. H Meng, Z Chen, GM Xing, H Yuan, C Chen, F Zhao, C Zhang, and YL Zhao, Ultrahigh Reactivity and Grave Nanotoxicity of Copper Nanoparticles, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 2007, 272, 595-598.
51. H Meng, B Sun, T Ren, H Yuan, G Xing, S Wang, Z Chen, L Qu, C Zhang, and YL Zhao, Chain Fullerene C60=C=C60=C=C60: Possible Way to All-Carbon Polymers, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2008, 8, 1-4.
52. Z Chen1, H Meng1 (1equal contribution), GM Xing, C Chen, YL Zhao, G Jia, T Wang, H Yuan, C Ye, F Zhao, Z Chai, C Zhu, X Fang, B Ma, and L Wan, Acute Toxicological Effects of Copper Nanoparticles in vivo, Toxicology Letters, 2006, 163,109-120.
53. J Wang, Z Wang, G Chen, Y Wang, T Ci, H Li, X Liu, D Zhou, A Kahkoska, Z Zhou, H Meng, J Buse, Z Gu. Injectable Biodegradable Polymeric Complex for Glucose-Responsive Insulin Delivery. 2021, ACS Nano. 15. 10.1021/acsnano.0c07291.
45. J Li, X Wang, KC Mei, CH Chang, J Jiang, X Liu, Q Liu, L Guiney, M Hersam, Y Liao, H Meng, T Xia. Lateral size of graphene oxide determines differential cellular uptake and cell death pathways in Kupffer cells, LSECs, and hepatocytes, Nano Today, 2020, 37, 101061.
44. J Liu, J Campagna, V J, R Damoiseaux, E Mokhonova, D Becerra, H Meng, EM McNally, A D Pyle, I Kramerova, M J Spencer, A Small-Molecule Approach to Restore a Slow-Oxidative Phenotype and Defective CaMKIIβ Signaling in Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy, Cell Reports Medicine, 2020, 1 (7), 100122.
43. Q Liu, X Wang, X Liu, S Kumar, G Gochman, Y Ji, Y Liao, CH Chang, W Situ, J Lu, J Jiang, KC Mei, H Meng, T Xia, A E. Nel, Use of Polymeric Nanoparticle Platform Targeting the Liver To Induce Treg-Mediated Antigen-Specific Immune Tolerance in a Pulmonary Allergen Sensitization Model, ACS Nano, 2019, 134, 4778-4794.
42. K Ali, A Nel, H Bunje, C DeSantis, A Andrews, R Blaik, G Zhen, H Meng, A Ozcan, S Tolbert, T Xia, J Zink, P Weiss, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology at UCLA, ACS Nano, 2019, 13. 6127-6129.
41. X Liu, Y Feng, G Xu, Yang Chen, Y Luo, J Song, Y Bao, C Yu, Y Li, H Ye, B Ke, B Chen, J Hu, J Xu, H Meng, H Zhang, H Shi, MAPK-Targeted Drug Delivered by a pH-Sensitive MSNP Nanocarrier Synergizes with PD-1 Blockade in Melanoma without T-Cell Suppression, Advanced Functional Materials, 2019, 29, 1806916.
40. A Nel, E Ruoslahti, H Meng, New Insights into “Permeability” as in the Enhanced Permeability and Retention Effect of Cancer Nanotherapeutics, ACS Nano, 2017, 11, 9567-9569.
39. W Jiang, X Wang, OJ. Osborne, Y Du, CH Chang, YP Liao, B Sun, J Jiang, Z Ji, R Li, X Liu, J Lu, S Lin, H Meng, T Xia, and AE. Nel, Pro-Inflammatory and Pro-Fibrogenic Effects of Ionic and Particulate Arsenide and Indium-Containing Semiconductor Materials in the Murine Lung, ACS Nano 2017, 11, 1869–1883.
38. Pelaz B, Alexiou C, Alvarez-Puebla RA, Alves F, Andrews AM, Ashraf S, Balogh LP, Ballerini L, Bestetti A, Brendel C, Bosi S, Carril M, Chan WC, Chen C, Chen X, Chen X, Cheng Z, Cui D, Du J, Dullin C, Escudero A, Feliu N, Gao M, George M, Gogotsi Y, Grünweller A, Gu Z, Halas NJ, Hampp N, Hartmann RK, Hersam MC, Hunziker P, Jian J, Jiang X, Jungebluth P, Kadhiresan P, Kataoka K, Khademhosseini A, Kopeček J, Kotov NA, Krug HF, Lee DS, Lehr CM, Leong KW, Liang XJ, Ling Lim M, Liz-Marzán LM, Ma X, Macchiarini P, H Meng, Möhwald H, Mulvaney P, Nel AE, Nie S, Nordlander P, Okano T, Oliveira J, Park TH, Penner RM, Prato M, Puntes V, Rotello VM, Samarakoon A, Schaak RE, Shen Y, Sjöqvist S, Skirtach AG, Soliman MG, Stevens MM, Sung HW, Tang BZ, Tietze R, Udugama BN, VanEpps JS, Weil T, Weiss PS, Willner I, Wu Y Yang L, Yue Z, Zhang Q, Zhang Q, Zhang XE, Zhao Y, Zhou X, Parak WJ, Diverse Applications of Nanomedicine, ACS Nano 2017, 11, 2313−2381.
37. B Sun, X Wang, YP Liao, Z Ji, CH Chang, S Pokhrel, J Ku, X Liu, M Wang, D R. Dunphy, R Li, H Meng, L Mädler, C. J Brinker, A E. Nel, and T Xia, Repetitive Dosing of Fumed Silica Leads to Profibrogenic Effects through Unique Structure–Activity Relationships and Biopersistence in the Lung, ACS Nano, 2016, 10, 8054–8066.
36. R Li, Z Ji, C H Chang, D R. Dunphy, X Cai, H Meng, H Zhang, B Sun, X Wang, J Dong, S Lin, M Wang, Y Liao, C. J Brinker, A Nel, and T Xia, Surface Interactions with Compartmentalized Cellular Phosphates Explain Rare Earth Oxide Nanoparticle Hazard and Provide Opportunities for Safer Design, ACS Nano, 2014, 8, 1771–1783.
35. Wang X, Duch MC, Mansukhani N, Ji Z, Liao YP, Wang M, Zhang H, Sun B, Chang CH, Li R, Lin S, H Meng, Xia T, Hersam MC, Nel AE, Use of a pro-fibrogenic mechanism-based predictive toxicological approach for tiered testing and decision analysis of carbonaceous nanomaterials. ACS Nano, 2015, 9, 3032-3043.
34. F Zhao, H Meng, L Yan, B Wang, Y Zhao, Nanosurface Chemistry and Dose Govern the Bioaccumulation and Toxicity of Carbon Nanotubes, Metal Nanomaterials, and Quantum Dots in vivo, Science Bulletin, 2015, 60, 3–20.
33. H Meng* and Olivia J. Osborne Linking, thinking & fixing: the story about the 2015 Chemistry Nobel Prize and the future of science, Science Bulletin, 2015, 60, 2071-2076.
32. S Lin, X Wang, Z Ji, CH Chang, Y Dong, H Meng, YP Liao, M Wang, TB Song, S Kohan, T Xia, JI Zink, S Lin, A Nel, Aspect Ratio Plays a Role in the Hazard Potential of CeO2 Nanoparticles in Mouse Lung and Zebrafish Gastrointestinal Tract, ACS Nano. 2014, 27, 8, 4450-64.
31. X Wang, Z Ji ,CH Chang,H Zhang, M Wang, Y Liao, S Lin, H Meng, R Li , B Sun, L Winkle , KE. Pinkerton, JI. Zink, T Xia, and AE. Nel, Use of Coated Silver Nanoparticles to Understand the Relationship of Particle Dissolution and Bioavailability to Cell and Lung Toxicological Potential, Small, 2014, 10, 385–398.
30. A Nel, T Xia, H Meng, X WANG, S Lin, Z JI, and H Zhang, Nanomaterial Toxicity Testing in the 21st Century: Use of a Predictive Toxicological Approach and High Throughput Screening, Accounts of Chemical Research, 2013, 2013, 46, 607-621.
29. M Zhu, G Nie, H Meng, T Xia, AE Nel, and YL Zhao, Physicochemical Properties Determine Nanomaterial Cellular Uptake, Transport, and Fate, Accounts of Chemical Research, 2013, 46, 622-631.
28. J Lu, S Xin, H Meng, M Veldman, D Schoenfeld, C Che, R Yan, H Zhong, S Li, S Lin, A Novel Anti-Tumor Inhibitor Identified by Virtual Screen with PLK1 Structure and Zebrafish Assay, Plos One, 2013, e53317.
27. R Li, X Wang, Z Ji, B Sun, H Zhang, Ch Chang, S Lin, H Meng, YP Liao, M Wang, Z Li, AA Hwang, TB Song, R Xu, Y Yang, JI Zink, AE Nel, and T Xia, The Surface Charge and Cellular Processing of Covalently Functionalized Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes Determine Pulmonary Toxicity, ACS Nano, 2013, 7, 2352-2368.
26. D.L. Clemens, B.-Y. Lee , M. Xue , C. R. Thomas, H Meng, D. Ferris, A. E. Nel, J. I. Zink, M. A. Horwitz, Targeted Intracellular Delivery of Antituberculosis Drugs to Mycobacterium tuberculosis-Infected Macrophages via Functionalized Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 2012, 56, 2535-2545.
25. H Zhang, Z Ji, T Xia, H Meng, C Low-Kam, R Liu, S Pokhrel, S Lin, X Wang, YP Liao, M Wang, L Li, R Rallo, R Damoiseaux, D Telesca, L Mädler, Y Cohen, JI Zink, and AE Nel, Use of Metal Oxide Nanoparticle Band Gap to Develop a Predictive Paradigm for Oxidative Stress and Acute Pulmonary Inflammation, ACS Nano, 2012, 22, 4349-4368.
24. S Kang, G Zhou, P Yang, Y Liu, B Sun, T Huynha, H Meng, L Zhao, G Xing, C Chen, YL Zhao, and R Zhou, Molecular Mechanism of Pancreatic Tumor Metastasis Inhibition by Gd@C82(OH)22 and Its Implication For De Novo Design of Nanomedicine, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 2012, 109, 15431-15436.
23. H Zhang, DR Dunphy, X Jiang, H Meng, B Sun, D Tarn, M Xue, X Wang, S Lin, Z Ji, R Li, FL Garcia, J Yang, ML Kirk, T Xia, JI Zink, AE Nel, and CJ Brinker, Processing Pathway Dependence of Amorphous Silica Nanoparticle Toxicity: Colloidal vs Pyrolytic, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2012, 134, 15790-15804.
22. Z Ji, X Wang, H Zhang, S Lin, H Meng, S George, T Xia, AE Nel, and JI Zink, Designed Synthesis of CeO2 Nanorods and Nanowires for Studying Toxicological Effects of Long Aspect Ratio Materials, ACS Nano, 2012, 6, 5366-5380.
21. S George, S Lin, Z Ji, CR. Thomas, L Li, M Mecklenburg, H Meng, X Wang, H Zhang, T Xia, JN Hohman, S Lin, JI Zink, PS Weiss, and AE Nel, Surface Defects on Plate-Shaped Silver Nanoparticles Contribute to Its Hazard Potential in a Fish Gill Cell Line and Zebrafish Embryos, ACS Nano, 2012, 6, 3745-3759.
20. S Lin, Y Zhao, Z, Ji, J Ear, C H Chang, H Zhang, C Low-Kam, K Yamada, H Meng, X Wang, R Liu, S Pokhrel, L Mädler, R Damoiseaux, T Xia, HA Godwin, S Lin, and AE Nel, Zebrafish High Throughput Screening to Study the Impact of Dissolving Metal Oxide Nanoparticles on the Hatching Enzyme, ZHE1, Small, 2012, 9, 1176-1185.
19. X Wang, T Xia, M Duch, Z Ji, H Zhang, R Li,B Sun, S Lin, H Meng, YP Liao, M Wang, TB Song, Y Yang, MC Hersam, and AE Nel, Pluronic F108 Coating Decreases the Lung Fibrosis Potential of Multiwall Carbon Nanotubes by Reducing Lysosomal Injury, Nano Letters, 2012, 12, 3050-3061.
18. T Xia, Y Zhao, T Sager, S George, S Pokhrel, N Li, D Schoenfeld, H Meng, S Lin, X Wang, M Wang, Z Ji, JI Zink, L Mädler, V Castranova, S Lin, and AE Nel, Decreased Dissolution of ZnO by Iron Doping Yields Nanoparticles with Reduced Toxicity in the Rodent Lung and Zebrafish Embryos, ACS Nano, 2011, 5, 1223-1235 (Highlighted by Nano Today).
17. H Zhang, T Xia, H Meng, M Xue, S George, Z Ji, X Wang, R Liu, M Wang, B France, R Rallo , R Damoiseaux, Y Cohen, KA Bradley, JI Zink, and AE Nel, Differential Expression of Syndecan-1 Mediates Cationic Nanoparticle Toxicity in Undifferentiated versus Differentiated Normal Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells, ACS Nano, 2011, 5, 2756-2769.
16. S Lin, Y Zhao, T Xia, H Meng, Z Ji, R Liu, S George, S Xiong, X Wang, H Zhang, S Pokhrel, L Mädler, R Damoiseaux, S Lin, and AE Nel, High Content Screening in Zebrafish Speeds up Hazard Ranking of Transition Metal Oxide Nanoparticles, ACS Nano, 2011, 5, 7284-7295.
15. X Wang, T Xia, S A Ntim, Z Ji, S Lin, H Meng, C Chung, S George, H Zhang, M Wang, Li N, Y Yang, V Castranova, S Mitra, JC Bonner, and AE Nel, Dispersal State of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes Elicits Profibrogenic Cellular Responses That Correlate with Fibrogenesis Biomarkers and Fibrosis in the Murine Lung, ACS Nano, 2011, 5, 9772-9787.
14. T Xia, H Meng, S George, H Zhang, X Wang, Z Ji, JI Zink, and AE Nel, Strategy for Toxicity Screening of Nanomaterials, Material Matters (Aldrich Sigma), 2010, 5, 82-84.
13. A Korotcov, S Liang, H Meng, T Wang, R Sridhar, YL Zhao, XJ Liang, and PC Wang, A Nanocomplex System as Targeted Contrast Agent Delivery Vehicle for Magnetic Resonance Imaging Dynamic Contrast Enhancement Study, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2010, 10, 7545-7549.
12. Z Ji, X Jin, S George, T Xia, H Meng, X Wang, E Suarez, H Zhang, EM Hoek, H Godwin, AE Nel, and JI Zink, Dispersion and Stability Optimization of TiO2 Nanoparticles in Cell Culture Media, Environmental Science and Technology, 2010, 44, 7309-7314.
11. X Wang, T Xia, S Ntim, Z Ji, S George, H Meng, H Zhang, V Castranova, S Mitra, and AE Nel, Quantitative Techniques for Assessing and Controlling the Dispersion State and Biological Effects of Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes in Mammalian Tissue Culture Cells, ACS Nano, 2010, 4, 7241-7252.
10. T Xia, M Kovochich, M Liong, H Meng, S Kabehie, S George, JI Zink, and AE Nel, Polyethyleneimine Coating Enhances the Cellular Uptake of Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles and Allows Safe Delivery of siRNA and DNA Constructs, ACS Nano, 2009, 3, 3273-3286.
9. Z Chen, H Meng, G Xing, H Yuan, F Zhao, R Liu, X Chang, X Gao, T Wang, G Jia, C Ye, Z Chai, and YL Zhao, Age-Related Differences in Pulmonary and Cardiovascular Responses to SiO2 Nanoparticle Inhalation: Nanotoxicity Has Susceptible Population, Environmental Science and Technology, 2008, 42, 8985-8992.
8. Z Chen, H Chen, H Meng, G Xing, X Gao, B Sun, X Shi, H Yuan, C Zhang, R Liu, F Zhao, YL Zhao, and X Fang, Bio-distribution and Metabolic Paths of Silica Coated CdSeS Quantum Dots, Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 2008, 230, 364-371.